The first step in leveling up your hair game is to find out your true hair type (Not the hair type you had 10 years ago, 5 years ago, or even last year) You need to know your hair type is right now.
Our hair is constantly growing, which means it’s constantly changing- and it is a direct outcome of our genetics, what we eat, the vitamins we take (or don’t take), and environmental factors (hair coloring, water, products we use etc.)
It’s important to reassess your hair type every year so you can make sure you are spending your hard-earned money on the right products that will actually work. Here are three key factors that make generally make up a hair type.
How much hair do you have?
Don’t overthink this and try to answer objectively without comparing your current hair to what it was in the past, or what you would like it to be.
- Do you have to wrap your hair tie 3-4 times when you put it up? You probably have a thin amount.
- 2-3 times? Average.
- Do you need 2 hair ties to even keep your hair up? Then yours is thick!
What is the type?
Try to really simplify this into:
What is the texture?
- Are your strands thick and coarse? Then look for products for thick, coarse or unruly hair.
- Are your strands skinny, fine and soft? Then look for products for fine hair.
- Are they somewhere in the middle, or a mix between the two? Then look for products for normal to dry hair or try to look for any secondary issues you may be having that you could focus your products on! (for example, color-safe products, protein products for split ends etc!)
We hope you find these three key points helpful in finding your hair type! If you want to really get into it, you can take our short
Have you heard about our Hair Boxes? Every season we come out with a specialized box for each hair type that has everything your hair will need to thrive. Learn more about them below